The holiday season has arrived! With so many fun things to do in Atlanta, it’s time to begin making plans so that your family doesn’t miss the unique memory-making opportunities that come and go so quickly during the hustle and bustle. Before you get completely engrossed in shopping and making arrangements for visits with relatives, take some time to invest with your own family- for little to no money- see a local Christmas Parade! There are so many to see around town and each has its own flair to help your family create treasured memories.
- One of the earliest parades this season is found in Braselton- The Holidays in Braselton Festival and Parade- on Saturday, November 16 from 9-5. This year’s celebration, “An American Christmas,” features holiday items, crafts, and collectibles, as well as a variety of food booths and live entertainment throughout the day. The parade begins at 10:30 with a parade route traveling through Braselton Park and downtown on Henry and Harrison Streets. The parade will have bands, animals, floats, and antique cars. Our very own GOpher Little will be in the parade! Make sure to wave to us! For more information or a schedule of performances, visit www.downtownbraselton.com.
- For a different experience, consider the Downtown Athens Christmas Parade of Lights. Held on Thursday, December 5 at 7pm, this nighttime event brings the magic of a Christmas Parade and lights together! This unusual parade begins on the corner of Dougherty and Pulaski Streets and travels all the way to City Hall. Following the parade is a traditional tree lighting ceremony that will be hosted by Santa and Mrs. Claus. Bring the whole family out to take in the sights and sounds with Downtown Athens decked for the holidays! Visit www.athensclarkecounty.com/2589/Downtown-Parade-of-Lights for more information.
- Want your child to truly understand the saying “It’s better to give than receive”? Come to the Olde Town Conyers Christmas Party on Friday, December 6 from 5-8. The Rockdale County Historical Society will have a Secret Santa Shop allowing children ages 5 to 10 to shop for members of their family with gifts that range from $.50-$5.00 and offering free gift wrapping. In addition to this special opportunity for your child, everyone can enjoy ice skating, free carriage rides, and train rides. A visit with jolly Santa Claus makes this a night of memories you’ll treasure for many years. For more information on the Olde Town Christmas Party, call 770-602-2606.
- The City of Lilburn presents their annual Christmas Parade on Saturday, December 7 at 10. With Mrs. Claus serving as the parade’s Grand Marshal, this year’s theme is “My Favorite Holiday Memory.” The parade route travels down Main Street to Lilburn City Park. Get there early for a great spot and enjoy the various activities and refreshments. Make sure to bring your camera to capture your children’s visit with both Mr. and Mrs. Claus! Go to www.lilburnparade.com for more details.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check back with GOpherlittle.com often to help you decide what events to include in your family’s holiday schedule. Obviously, we can’t be at all of the festivities around town. We’d love to find out what else is happening. What events are you attending? We may not catch be able to catch them, but depending on your recommendations, we might have to add them to our calendar for next year.
- Share this event with your friends: